Sunday, May 16, 2021

My not-so-silent partner

I still have one of these things.
 
The phone rings all the time.
Five, six, seven times a day.
I ignore it. 
It's a distant telemarketing machine calling,  fishing for fools.

When it discovers it's reached an answering machine, it hangs up. That takes four rings.

I am paying $30 a month for two machines not to talk to each other. And certainly not talk to me.

If I answer, the far-away machine will know it has a live person and will call more often.

The far away machine doesn't know I am on the Do Not Call List we all pretend exists.
 
I have my land phone in case I need to call Hydro because everything is dark and dead...
Kong or Godzilla eat the cell tower...
.
Dougie decides to lock down air...
.
I have to reach the plumber's answering machine, a one-way cry of hopelessness
.
As the Unknown Void, closes in, I try to poke out 9-1-1-uhhhh

My cell phone never rings.
Unless I make a call, it's turned off.

You'd have to e-mail me to turn it on.
And I might.
There would be 16 messages from Telus, all about my cell phone.
 
The fax hasn't hummed since 2009.
There are dead satellite dishes for
Xplornet and Starchoice in the yard.

Hermits have the most options.

 

No comments: