Tuesday, April 12, 2022

Canada Post punch

 P.O. Box 205

So today, I renewed my post office box.

$200

It once cost $45.

So riddle me this:

For FREE, the post office will move your mail, sort it twice (post office and route), hire a postman to bring it to your mailbox or house. Pay gas and mileage to deliver in the boonies.  Perhaps they'll sort it again, at those tin can community mailboxes Canada Post puts in snowbanks and mudflats.

But if your mail comes to the post office, is sorted once, and YOU go there to collect it from a box, it's $200. No gas, mileage, postmen.

There are 300 mailboxes at my tiny local post office. Paying "rent". Is that $60,000?

There are more than 3,000 households getting delivery on routes all around me. That's free.

It obviously costs money to staff, heat and light a post office. For everybody. But only the boxes pay.

Discuss.


 

No comments: