Saturday, July 17, 2021

LOST SONGS: The Ballad of Tim Horton, Go! Bimbo Go!

 

I spent the afternoon shuffling thru old cassette tapes, hoping to find The Ballad of Tim Horton.

With a great-from-the-get-go intro, it's the ultimate Canadian campfire song:

He was doing 110 in his Lamborghini that fateful day

He had a big french cruller wrapped around his wiener when God took him away

Oh his fans went into fits, 

when they found he'd been smashed into Tim bits.... 

                        -    -   -   -

It gets crazier after that.

Lucky for me, there's a Facebook page for Go! Bimbo Go!, a hibernating musical foursome with three chords and vague connections to the Toronto Sun.

There I find photos of Bimbo cassettes I treasure, a live version of the Tim tribute and lyrics to their hits. Do You Wanna Be My Food? Why Are People Bursting Into Flames? Unforgettable. And I've tried.

I saw the band kick butts in a hotel basement, dubbed by Ryerson's Eyeopener as "the biggest s--t hole in Toronto" and can't disagree.

Thanks to BJ Del Conte, I never lacked news of the Bimbos, once beloved outlaws in the city's throbbing punk underbelly. Grins should be shared.

LINK: Go Bimbo Go home page 

LINK: The Ballad of Tim Horton (live) 

Lyrics to Tim song for your camp fire...

On Big Baby Man lyric sheet

Always nice to be remembered. 

No comments: