Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Keep the damn calendars


 
A decade ago, when charities started dumping Christmas cards, pens, notepads and increasingly glossy "reports" and love letters to themselves in my mailbox, I checked a few websites to see what percentage of my contribution went to Junk Begging.
 
After all, we support charities for their cause, not their crap.
 
I was heartened to learn that--back then--my fave charities spent from 8-12% on administration and fund raising.
 
You know what it is now?
 
It averages out to a sturdy 20%.
 
One industry site that tracks such stuff advises a model charity probably shouldn't spend more than 33%!
 
WTF?
You have to spend a third of my contribution to get the other two-thirds?
 
Has the Catch the Ace campaign so many Ontario medical services use poisoned this well?
Only 50% of the cash gets to the beneficiary.
 
Give whatever you can to your local hospital directly.
They all have a website.
 
I just cut one charity off my donation list for the glut of garbage they send multiple times a year.
 
Check the charities you support on line.
 
Those "free" and ugly Christmas cards you don't use, that third 2021 calendar in your mailbox this week?
It may provide a clue.
 

No comments: