Saturday, October 10, 2020

"Don't let the squirrels get in your underwear drawer..."

 


 

So I read this ... from Gusgoose, who follows this blog ...

------------------ 

First post! Remember when that used to be a thing? Sorry if that sounds a bit “troll-ish” in view of the torrent of posting going on here. How you been Dunf? 

You put me in mind of my uncle Ray, judging by some of the pictures posted here. He spent the last half of his life at his cottage and passed on at the age of 97. We had moved him in to a retirement home in Norwood after cleaning out his apartment in town. 

Later in the year we cleared out his old cottage. I was keen to find any old treasures that I could recall from the few weeks I had spent there in summer of ‘66 and ‘67 (especially the Playboy mags my Aunt and Uncle had hastily stuffed in the attic hatch - man, a 13 year-old boy can find that stuff like a Kentucky bloodhound). 

My bachelor Uncle was never a stickler for housekeeping but after the squirrels got in the place it really went to seed. I did find some old Super8 films in a box and I made it my mission to digitize these for the benefit of family and posterity. I even bought a Super8 projector on Kijiji (which was supposed to work but when I got it home it needed fixing) Man, if you can’t trust strangers on the internet, who CAN you trust?

There I am, late at night, trying to optimize the size and focus of these blurry old films as I project them onto the white wall of my living room, my wife calling me to come to bed, I’m making videos of them on my cellphone camera - I’m in my own little time warp... 

A year or so later my wife and I are returning from a trip to Ottawa and, since it’s along the way home, decide to stop and see my Uncle who is in hospital at Campbellford. He was sleeping a lot at that point but he woke up for us and we had a nice visit. I remembered that I had some of these old video clips on my iPhone. 

He seemed more impressed by the fact that I had video on my phone than the images of his relatively young and vigorous self, picking a couple of fresh-caught walleyes up off the dock and walking off camera, his beloved Beagle “Spunky” following after. It was mighty boring in that place. I like to think those vids paid a big dividend for all the time and trouble that went in to converting them. My uncle passed a couple days later. 

Anyway, Dunf, the point of the story could be to say ( in a voice like Red Green) “Don’t let the squirrels get in your underwear drawer”. I’ll be checking in on you...

 -------------------

This is a watchbird, watching you.

Does this kids' book still exist?

 


No comments: