Monday, March 16, 2020

Worried about Gus ....



On this happy day of the plague, I go for a walk ... near the old bridge below Palmer Rapids.
I hear a honk honk honk as I get out of the car, a cry of alarm at three-second intervals.
I see a single (1) Canada goose, paddling down the opposite shore of the river, yelping his heart out.

When have you ever seen a single goose?

He didn't seem injured.
Did the flock make him self-isolate? 

What do the other geese know about Gus to ditch him?
Did they see him sneeze into his wing?
Drip a bit from the beak?

Or was Gus taking a good goose poop when the goose gang resumed their mass flight to Wherever? 
Is he diabetic? Health-challenged?
Do geese not count heads at take-off?

When I left, Gus floated 500 feet further south towards  the Quadeville chip truck, honking all the way. 
Alone.
Nobody answered him. 
I fear the system is failing.


No comments: