Friday, August 13, 2021

LOST SONGS: Birdland, Weather Report

How many times has this played?

But there is always a first.

I am laying on the floor at a reporter bud's pad, when we both worked for the Toronto Star.

There is a party in progress.

This comes on.

I am pleasantly numb.

There is that driving, irresistible ticking of bass and drum. It takes two minutes to get to The Hook. Oh god, the horns.

At three minutes, what my bud calls "the traffic crash" of downward notes punches my ears.

By the four minute mark, when the voices and handclaps start, I am on my feet. Folkies are dancing. WTF is this?

I hate my job. I don't much like the party. But Weather Report opens a door. After this, there will be so much better.

The Heavy Weather cover shows a little city, not unlike my new one, Toronto. A maple leaf is on the cover, just like our new flag. And a faceless dude with smoke coming out of his head. Me.

YouTube knows how much Birdland means. The algorithm tosses it at me twice a month. I always listen. 

Those weird, strange and familiar chords, the dazzle of new ideas, optimism and endless opportunity. The ARP 2600. Oh yeah.

The band couldn't duplicate this studio track in concert. Ticketmaster has a lot of my money and YouTube has concert clips to prove it.

But here, in just shy of six minutes, any day can lift off again. Electric sunrise.

Beyond this track, new chords, new chances, new papers, new friends ... 

I am not alone in my swoon.

There is this guy below, pulling his album and doing what musicians do. Look at his face.

See how he spends his six minutes. 

Way to go, bud.

Birdland is the anthem of new beginnings.

You don't need an edible. But hey. Whatever.

Weather Report:  Joe Zawinul, Jaco Pastorius, Manolo Bandera, Alex Acuna, Wayne Shorter

Eff the Star

Here is A New Turn at Bat.

Dawn, Friday.

Weekend lift-off.

All things are possible.

Hello, Helsinki! Hit it... 

 

No comments: