Thursday, June 03, 2021

Could you make a Skittle?

I see them. I eat them.

I could not make a Skittle.

Could you?

Several times I claimed in the column that Pringles are made in a factory where old women chew regular potato chips, then pat them with their hands into identically-shaped ones they stick in a can. Nobody ever claimed they weren't.

There used to be a little Quebec-based TV show called How It's Made. Stations used it as filler.

In hundreds of episodes, they never once showed  how any snack food is made.

I know how tennis racquets and canoe paddles are made. But not a Skittle.

Every Skittle contains .4 grams of sugar, 4.33 calories. Ingredients on every pack.

Can you make just one?

Now make one Cheet-o.

Now make a marshmallow.

Food scientists made these "foods" in a lab.

We can't.   

                         *   *   *

I pitch this idea to a bud.

"Makes sense," he agrees. "The crappiest snack foods obviously escape from the lab."

No comments: