Sunday, June 13, 2021

Perky posties

 

 
Blog reader: I go to my favorite little postal outlet and pick up some  John Turner stamps. I love the guy who has been serving the outlet for many years. I told him Turner was my favorite Prime Minister, and he commented so many people said how much they liked Turner. And were buying the stamps. Then he told me I could only buy one small booklet.

Really??! My face obviously fell.

Then he gave me a big smile and asked me how many booklets I wanted.

                                        *   *   *

I believe there is something in the soul-crushing nature of Canada Post that results in a bevy of very flirty, cute postal folk. 

Or maybe posties are just inclined to view seniors--and at this point I am senior to virtually everybody--as willing prey.

My own postmistress greets me by first name if I appear at the counter. She is always smiley. I am "dunf" to the world. "Gary" to her. It's as close to intimacy as I'm gonna get. And she's always waving stamps, new issues in particular.

If you revisit the Turner blog entry, I added a snarky comment Nancy White made on Facebook about the JT stamp. She wrote several dubious Turner tunes, so I wasn't surprised.

Nancy White: "Oh that tactile guy."
Dunf: Now being cancelled thousands of times a day

I take a dim view of the cancellation culture--be it current, future or just strafing ghosts of Christmas past. 

There. Everybody happy now?

Yeesh.

No comments: