Tuesday, January 23, 2024

LOST SONGS: I Didn't Know What Time It Was

" Grand to be alive, to be young

To be mad, to be yours alone

Grand to see your face, feel your touch

Hear your voice say I'm all your own ... "

 

If you don't quite know what year it is, Sarah Vaughan can help above ... 

And Billie Holiday offers the seldom-heard  Larry Hart intro, below ...  

 

Clip: Sarah Vaughan - I didn't know what time it was  ( 1982 )

Clip: Billie Holiday - I didn't know what time it was ( 1957 )  


Song: Richard Rodgers & Lorenz Hart  ( 1939 )

 

@christopherlyons5900
‪‬
"I'm reading a biography of Lorenz Hart, who wrote this song with Richard Rodgers. Doesn't seem like he ever met Billie Holiday. She made this recording long after he drank himself to death. Kindred souls. I guess they met through the way she sang his lyrics. They would have understood each other, I think. I doubt they could have helped each other. Some people come into this world to create beauty, but pay a terrible price for it. We all think we'd love to be creative geniuses. Think again. Remember the price others paid so that we could bask in its reflected glow.‬"

 

 

No comments: