Saturday, October 24, 2020

Sam Elliott

In the ad trade, they're called aspirational ads.

They're not exactly about a product, company or candidate.

They're about your heartstrings, feelings, confirmation.

Rarely magical, a handful can still smack you deep inside.

The one above popped up in the World Series--itself a hopeful confirmation in this strange year that things will get saner.

The ad below, simply called "Men" may eclipse it.

What both ads have in common is Sam Elliott.

The actor has played lifeguards, pops, cowboys.

He is never the bad guy.

Here, he turns a Lincoln Project pitch into Field of Dreams.

Or is it A River Runs Through it?

Where is my fly rod? My catcher's mitt?

Who am I?

What is expected of me? And where is ... he?

I'm impressed by the creative craft of the thing.

Dammit. Got me.

LINK: SAM ELLIOTT: "Men" ad 


 

 

No comments: