Thursday, February 13, 2020

Christie Blatchford

Blatch mourns Obie's passing in one her sweetest columns...

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christie-blatchford-i-have-had-dogs-my-whole-life-but-obie-blatchford-was-my-one

Blatch and I were pals when the Sun was a party school, crossing paths in hallways or at social events. I knew she was an exceptional newshound with a keen eye for bullshit, underdogs and social injustice, and one of the Sun's prime claims to legitimacy.

She swore like a trooper and seldom let any fool crack her sometimes facts-first veneer. It cloaked a complicated softie.

I'm struck by how many pieces I read this morning remark on her empathy. Caring--like newspapers themselves--seems  oddly dated, increasingly rare and dammit, old-fashioned.  

Sad.


2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.